Sunday, May 1, 2016

W A T E R F A L L S and M O U N T A I N S

Albert Bierstadt painting of a waterfall
It's a common mistake to confuse waterfalls with mountains, and we all do it.
Waterfalls are water that falls, mountains are rock that rises. Wait, that can't be right . . .
   
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
An 1899 image for a publication     Click images twice for full size
  
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Caspar David Friedrich painting of a foggy mountain
   A Caspar David Friedrich painting
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Clifton W. Karhu & Henry Steiner graphic design of a mountain and city, 1972
Clifton W. Karhu & Henry Steiner graphic design, 1972
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Albert Bierstadt painting of a waterfall
An Albert Bierstadt painting:
Is that a waterfall ON a mountain, or just a valley of lies?
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Clifford J. Beese 1915 ink drawing of a mountain
Clifford J. Beese 1915
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
A Frank Mason illustration for a travel poster, mountain lake & train
A Frank Mason illustration for a travel poster
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
A Miroslav Sasek illustration for a children's book, 1965
A Miroslav Sasek illustration for a children's book, 1965
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
A Mary Blair waterfall color design
A Mary Blair waterfall color design, maybe for Disney
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Albert Bierstadt art
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Paul Hambleton Landacre art, rounded mountains
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Mitre Peak Milford Sound poster
 A travel poster
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
J.J. Grandville cartoon of a man ascending a mountain with a big croisillon
 A J.J. Grandville cartoon
   
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Frank Godwin book illustration in color
A Frank Godwin book illustration
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Niagara Falls 1839, view from the USA side
 Niagara Falls 1839, from the USA side
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
1950 illustration of a train in snowy mountains
 a 1950 illustration by who knows who
  
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
A Chesley Bonestell illustration of alien mountains
A Chesley Bonestell illustration: mountains yes, Earth no
    
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Rockwell Kent painting of mountains
   
 W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
A David Roberts illustration of an unlikely landscape
A David Roberts illustration of an unlikely landscape:
a beach, then one mountain, then downhill?
  
W A T E R F A L L S  &  M O U N T A I N S
   
Frederic Church painting of waterfalls and mountains
This Frederic Church painting waves goodbye with the palm of it's land.
   
   
 
http://gerrylagendyk.blogspot.ca/
http://gotomootpoint.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment