Sunday, August 21, 2016

R E A D E R S . . . by different artists

A cartoon illustration of an old book reader, from an 1885 publicationWhy do people watch books?
     
 R E A D I N G
 
A Childe Hassam painting of a woman reading by rocks and shore
Childe Hassam art  Click blue links for more of the artists
 
 R E A D I N G
  
A old photograph of glasses on a newspaper
a print article photograph of glasses on a print article
 
 R E A D I N G
 
A Charles Addams cartoon about signage
 A Charles Addams cartoon  Click images twice for full size
 
 R E A D I N G
 
An Abner Graboff illustration from Mothers Are That Way
an Abner Graboff children's book illustration
 
 R E A D I N G
 
An old Joseph Sattler illustration of an obsessive reader
an old Joseph Sattler illustration, from 1894?
  
 R E A D I N G
  
Dalziel Brothers book graphics for preface, contents and illustrations pages
1890s? ... a book's 'preface' was a message of introduction or explanation . . .
'contents' listed the paginated chapters, and 'illustrations' were indexed too.
 
 R E A D I N G
 
An Edwin Georgi illustration of a bookish teen on a sea cruise
An Edwin Georgi illustration
  
 R E A D I N G
  
An illustration of an 1890 self-operating swing, from a catalog
an 1890 'self-operating' swing from a catalog, patented no less
  
 R E A D I N G
  
A photograph of 1916 Teddy Roosevelt style eyeglasses
1916 eyeglass frames, like the photo of Teddy Roosevelt?
 
 R E A D I N G
  
A Don Martin cartoon about a bookstore customer
A Don Martin cartoon
  
 R E A D I N G
  
a 1940 graphic illustration in color of a businessman reading
a 1940 illustration
 
 R E A D I N G
 
A 1909 cartoon about a man who reads too many newspapers
 a 1909 cartoon
 
 R E A D I N G
 
A 1919 bookplate with the Shakespear quote "Neither a borrower or a lender be."
A 1919 bookplate with the book-owners monogrammed name
. . . clearly we cannot borrow this book.
 
 R E A D I N G
 
an Elisha Brown Bird bookplate illustration
An Elisha Brown Bird bookplate illustration
  
 R E A D I N G
 
Better do as he says
 
 R E A D I N G
 
An Ellis Martin illustration, 1937
an Ellis Martin illustration, 1937
 
 R E A D I N G
 
An Edmund J. Sullivan illustration of a gentleman and his hairdresser
an Edmund J. Sullivan illustration
 
 R E A D I N G
 
Charles Burns sequential art
 
 R E A D I N G
 
A Gustave Dore illustration of book-burning
A Gustave Dore illustration of book-burning
  
    
Two eyes without emotion stare up from the pavement   click  to  L I S T E N . . .  
http://gerrylagendyk.blogspot.ca/
https://www.youtube.com/user/thrillinggrief/playlists
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-lagendyk
http://gotomootpoint.blogspot.ca/
k i n d n e s s   &   l o v e   f o r   e v e r y o n e

No comments:

Post a Comment